Inclement Weather Information
There are many factors that are taken into account when determining to delay or cancel school, or call an early dismissal. Information collected from the local Police, Highway, Bus Transportation Company, and our Maintenance Department is carefully reviewed. Road conditions, precipitation, temperatures and forecasts are all considered when making a determination to delay or close school. As the weather in New England is often unpredictable, in some cases, a delay may be upgraded to a school closing based on worsening conditions. Information will always be related to our families via the School Messenger voicemail service, through an email blast, and the status posted on our website and facebook page. As always, the safety of our children is the priority in all decision making.
Below is a chart that outlines information about our communications and start times when we call for a change to our ordinary schedule:
Television: Channel 3 (WFSB) Channel 8 (WTNH) Channel 30 (WVIT)
Radio: 800 AM / 98.3 FM – WLAD 880 AM – WCBS 108 FM – WEBE
This information is also available on our website and ctweather.com.
SCHOOL CLOSING PROTOCOLS
In the event of a school closure, all sports programs and student activities will be cancelled for that day, unless otherwise communicated.
DELAYED OPENING PROTOCOLS
- Ridgefield Academy normally utilizes either a 60-minute or 90-minute delay, depending upon conditions and forecasts. Buses will arrive at stops approximately 60 minutes (or 90 minutes) later than the usual time.
- Please do not drop children off at school at their usual time. Staff members are only available to supervise students one hour before the delayed opening on that day.
- School will be dismissed at the regular times on delayed opening days.
EARLY DISMISSAL PROTOCOLS
- In the event of an early dismissal, parents/guardians will be notified as soon as a decision has been reached via our School Messenger phone system, email notification, and facebook posting.
- It is imperative that you keep a current emergency telephone number updated in our Patriot Portal. Instructions on making changes can be found here. Consider making arrangements with a neighbor or friend to look after your child in the event you are not home. Additionally, during the school year if you would like to make changes to numbers in the School Messenger system, please notify Marcie Maguire at email@example.com as well as making them to your household profile.